There are dozens of Blue Plaques situated in historically significant locations in North Tyneside. Below is a brief description of each.
Click here to view the Blue Plaque Walk leaflet.
Winslow Court (former site of the Bay Hotel), Cullercoats
American artist Winslow Homer stayed here when it was the Hudleston Arms between 1881 and 1882 when he lived and worked in Cullercoats.
Fishermans Lookout opposite Winslow Court Flats.
Tyne and Wear County Council, 1986. Built in 1879 on the site of a traditional Fishermans lookout to house the Cullercoats Volunteer Life Brigade. A pre-existing clock tower was incorporated in the design. Now used as a community centre.
New Quay, North Shields
Former Sailors Home, built by the 4th Duke of Northumberland in 1854-6 to accommodate 80 visiting seamen. Architect Benjamin Green.
Howard Street, North Shields
Maritime Chambers built in 1806-7 as a subscription library for Tynemouth Literary and Philosophical Society. Occupied 1895-1980 by Stag Line Ltd. One of Tyneside's oldest family-owned shipping companies. The building still bears the stag emblem.
Old High Light, Trinity Buildings, North Shields
Since 1536 Trinity House, Newcastle, has built several leading lights in North Shields. This one was constructed in 1727. Following changes in the river channel it was replaced in 1807 by the new High Light.
New Low Light, Fish Quay, North Shields
The new Lighthouse and Keeper's house were erected in 1808-10 by the Master and Brethren of Trinity House, Newcastle, to replace the Old Low Light. It still serves as an important navigational aid to vessels entering the river.
Old Low Light, Clifford's Fort, Fish Quay, North Shields
Built inside Clifford's Fort 1727-33 and extended 1775. Its white gable was painted black and its light window blocked to obscure it as a navigational landmark when converted to Almshouses in 1806-8.
Dockwray Square, North Shields
Born Arthur Stanley Jefferson in Ulverston, Cumbria, on 16th June 1890, the 'thin one' of the world famous Hollywood comedy team of Laurel and Hardy lived at No 8 Dockwray Square between 1897-1901. He died in Santa Monica, California on 23rd February 1965, aged 74 years.
Old Drill Hall, Military Road, North Shields
Home of Tynemouth Volunteer Artillery. This period hall was built by local public subscription for Tynemouth's Volunteer Gunners founded in 1859 to top the Army list of volunteer artillery formations. Queen Elizabeth II granted the unit's successors the right to the word 'Tynemouth' under Royal Artillery on battle dress - a unique distinction in military annals.
Clifford's Fort, Fish Quay, North Shields
Completed in 1672 and named after Lord Clifford of Cabal, this fort was armed with cannons. Commanded by Governor of Tynemouth Castle until 1839. Headquarters of Tyne Division Royal Engineers (Volunteers) Submarine Miners 1888 - 1928.
71 West Percy Street, North Shields
Victor Noble Rainbird was born in North Shields 12th December 1887. He was a prize-winning student of art on Tyneside and in London. This was the family home between 1917-1933, when he built his reputation as a painter and stained glass designer. He died 8th March 1936.
Master Mariners Homes, Tynemouth Road
Built 1837-40 by North Shields Master Mariners Asylum for 32 aged mariners and their dependants; John and Benjamin Green, architects. Land donated by 3rd Duke of Northumberland; his statue stands in the gardens.
H M Coastguard House, Priory Grounds, Tynemouth
A lighthouse was built here in 1664 using stone from the Priory. It is likely that this tower replaced a medieval light in the Priory buildings. Demolished in 1898 and replaced by St Mary's Lighthouse.
The Watch House, TVLB Spanish Battery, Tynemouth
The Tynemouth Brigade, the first in the country, was formed in 1884 following several tragic shipwrecks. This watch house, built 1887, was restored by the brigade and Tyne and Wear County Council in 1997.
The Black Middens, Tynemouth
These exposed rock formations, once a notorious shipping hazard, claimed 5 ships in 3 days of blizzards in November 1864. 34 passengers and crew perished within sight of the shore.
Tynemouth Lodge Hotel, Tynemouth Road, Tynemouth
The building has been in use as a public house and residential hotel since 1799. Meals for prisoners were prepared in the cellar kitchens of this hotel and carried through an underground tunnel to the inmates of the Tynemouth House of Correction and Justice Room next door.
Tynemouth Road, Tynemouth
Site of the Governor's Tree, where important visitors to Tynemouth were met as they disembarked in Pow Burn. These visitors included King Charles I in 1633 and King Henry VIII's commissioners, when they came to dispossess the monks of Tynemouth Priory in 1539.
Mariner's Point, Tynemouth Road. Tynemouth
This building was the booking hall and waiting room for the first railway station in Tynemouth. It was opened on 29th March 1847 by the Newcastle & Berwick Railway Company and designed by the architects John and Benjamin Green, but was superseded in 1882 by the current railway station now part of the Tyne and Wear Metro System.
Drill Hall, Tynemouth Road, Tynemouth
Formed in 1888 as Tyne Division Royal Engineers (Volunteers) Submarine Miners for the defence of the Tyne entrance. The unit was based on Clifford's Fort adjoining Fish Quay until 1928 before moving to this New Clifford's Fort drill hall. The 'Tynes' survive still as 72 Engineers Regiment (Tyne Electrical Engineers) (V) at Gateshead.
10 Priors Terrace, Tynemouth
Dame Annie Maud Burnett b.1863 - 1950 d. lived here. Elected in 1910, she was the first and only woman member of Tynemouth Council until 1929 when three others were elected. Created a Dame Commander of the British Empire in 1918 for services during World War I, she became the first woman Mayor of Tynemouth in 1928. She was appointed a Justice of the Peace in 1920.
9 Huntingdon Place, Tynemouth
Sailor/Soldier Giuseppe Garibaldi 19th century Italian patriot stayed in this house in 1854 while visiting Tynemouth to brief local political and industrial leaders on his plans for a unified Italy. He was hailed throughout Europe as a true idealist and honest politician. He was born in Nice on 4th February 1807 and died aged 75 years in Caprera on 2nd June 1882.
Tynemouth Priory and Castle Railings
The headland of Pen Bal Crag - the place where now stands the Monastery of Tynemouth was anciently called by the Saxons "Benebalcrag" - Leland at the time of Henry VIII. So began the history of Tynemouth - its Priory, sacked by the Danes in 800, and Castle walls, started in 1095. Three kings were buried within - Oswin, King of Deria (651); Osred, King of Northumbria (792); Malcolm III, King of Scotland (1093). Three crowns still adorn the North Tyneside coat of arms.
57 Front Street, Tynemouth
Harriet Martineau Novelist, Political economist and England's first woman journalist, regained her health here.1840 – 1845.
Wallsend Heritage Centre, Buddle Street, Wallsend
Wallsend riverfront has been the home of world-famous yards including: Schlesinger's (1863-93), C S Swan's (1874-80) and G B Hunter's (1880-1903); together with major marine engine-works. Turbinia (1894) and Mauretania (1906) were launched here.
340 Station Road
Building completed 4th June 1921 one of North Tyneside's first council houses.
Eldon Court Willington Quay
Dedicated to Francis Herbert Stead. Willington Quay 1857. Crusader for Old Age Pensioners' Rights, Pioneer, Social Reformer, d. London 1928 age 71.
W. T. Stead 1849-1912 Radical Journalist and worker for Women's Rights, and for Peace. Lived in Howdon on Tyne, 1850-1871
Curry's point opposite St Mary's Island, Whitley Bay
On 4th September 1739 Michael Curry was executed for the murder of the Landlord of the Three Horseshoes Inn, Hartley. His body was afterwards hung in chains from a gibbet at this spot, within sight of the scene of his crime. Ever since that gruesome event this headland has been known as Curry's Point.
North Tyneside Highlights
Blue Reef is part of an exciting new generation of aquarium attractions designed to inspire deeper understanding and appreciation of the natural...
Tynemouth Surf Co was established in 1995 by Stephen Hudson. Since then it has become one of the leading surf shops in the North East of England....
Reached between the tides via a short causeway, St. Mary's has all the fascination of a miniature, part-time island. The Lighthouse, completed in...
In AD122 the Emperor Hadrian ordered a mighty frontier system to be built across Britain to defend the Roman Empire from the barbarians to the North...